Monday, July 8, 2013

Mason Matthew’s Birth Story

Part One:
Mason Matthew’s Birth Story

--Warning this is lengthy!-- 

As some of you have ready, I was nervous of the chance of being told I HAD to have a c-section. I thought in my mind I was okay with it but in reality I wasn't. I think the hardest thing about being told that I HAD to have a c-section was the fact that I really started to eat healthy and watch my weight so that I wouldn't have to, since I was at 33 weeks I have stayed at pretty much the same weight, I have cut back on eating out and drinking pop. But what is important is to know that GOD IS IN CONTROL OF EVERYTHING and he has a reason for everything! 

Wednesday, July 3 2013 at 10:30 am we headed to the hospital for our ultra sound, this appointment was going to determine weather or not I had to be induced, have a c-section or be allowed to be pregnant for up to another week(if baby Speiser didn't come before then). I have been doing black and blue cohosh one time a day to try to get things to start, we also have been walking, eating spicy food, and went for a swim at the YMCA. We walk in and get checked in, at this point I am very nervous as to what is to happen, we get to the desk and it’s someone new….GREAT(not) she takes at least 5 minutes to check us in when usually it takes less then a minute….I am very annoyed and irritated….patients have ran out…we go sit in the waiting area to go back for the ultra sound…waiting…waiting….waiting….finally..our name is called. We go back and of course the person doing the ultra sound was someone new….again..annoyed, every time I asked what something was her response was I’m not quite sure, there was another lady in there that would then explain things….after 30 minutes, our longest ultra sound in awhile…we were told baby Speiser was measuring 5, 220 grams…UGH…plus or minus 700 grams…awesome right? We might be allowed to wait since it was plus or minus 700 grams….at least that’s what I have in my head at this point. 

They send us upstairs to do the stress test, thankfully I had some of the best nurses at this point. They hooked me up to the monitors and got me sprite and water, they explained that every time I felt baby move I had to press this button. Twenty minutes went by and they came in to say that I was so close to passing but they wanted me to stay hooked up for a little longer, at about noon they called Dr. Reber to fill her in on the test. They came back in the room and it was the worst thing I ever wanted to hear, at this point I still thought I had a chance of going another week. They said “We just got off the phone with Dr. Reber and she wants you to schedule a c-section for tonight, we have to take away all your fluids and no more eating or drinking.” …it hit….it hit hard…I’m not having the birth that I have been planning for this whole pregnancy…I broke down…..tears just started rolling down my face…they didn't stop…I couldn't get them to stop…this went on until about 12:30 pm…what made them stop?….I looked at the clock and realized we missed the mellow yellow event and asked Matt to run there quick since there was a half hr left….he said “really, that’s what you’re thinking about now!!!!??” haha I guess it was a good laugh.. Dr. Reber came in at 1 pm to talk to me about the c-section…maybe just maybe I could talk her into inducing me and trying to have a vaginal birth and if all else fails to have a c-section….she walked in the door….gave me the worst look ever…I know she didn't want to say it…and she didn't….I just started to cry again…I knew there was no choice….she said “I know you aren't happy and you tried so hard to keep your weight under control so he wouldn't get bigger but it is the safest thing to do for you and baby, please don‘t be mad at me“….I wasn't. mad at her at all…how could I be she has done everything the way I wanted it for my whole pregnancy….with tears rolling down my face, trying to breath, I got the words out, “Can I please just try vaginally and be induced???”….the answer was no….Matt is doing everything he can to comfort me, but nothing anyone says or does is making it better…I just have to deal with it…suck it up and move on. We set up the ultra sound for 8pm and were told we could go home and come back at 6pm….this was the worst part….lets just do it now, then I don’t have to think about it for the next 7  hours…..well the next 7 hours flew by….we went to Matt’s work so he could change, we came home and finished packing our bags, we also just sat and relaxed, then I decided I wanted to get my hair done, something to keep my mind busy and Matt needed a haircut so we went to Great Clips and got Matt’s hair cut and my hair curled….next thing we know it’s 5:51pm and we are in the parking lot of the hospital. I will do a timeline for the rest of events, you have all had to read a lot already!  :)


6:00pm - got upstairs - checked into our room - changed into gown and got my IV put in
6:40pm - got my catheter put in
7:00pm - Katie arrived 
Lots of waiting
7:45pm - Matt and Katie changed and got into their “scrubs”
7:55pm - Anesthesiologist came in to explain procedures 
8:05pm - Rolled me downstairs to operating room - Matt and I prayed together, and I went in ALONE to get my spinal
8:20pm - Last time I looked at the clock - “The Blue Sheet” got put up - Matt’s holding my hand
8:32pm - The best sound I have EVER heard - MASON MATTHEW SPEISER’S CRY to say that he was BORN!!! Tears of joy started to flow, he’s HERE!!!!!! 
8:40pm - Mason, Matt and Katie go upstairs to get him blood sugar levels up. 
9:20pm - I see the clock, I’m sealed up and ready to go see my baby boy! 
9:30pm - I got to hold my baby boy for the first time! 
10:00pm - We started to call family - My parents, Matt’s Parents, My sister, Karen, Melissa and then we started to text friends
10:40pm - Auntie Heather and Uncle TJ arrive  

As we were all talking there was two quotes Heather felt that I needed to remember so she wrote them down for me: 
--”poor little bugger had to take a thermometer in the kesister” - Matt talking about getting his temp taken!! 
--”then you just came rolling by, they said we could go be with ma and try breast feeding” - Matt again :)

Mason Matthew Speiser
7/3/13
8:32pm
10lbs 5oz
23 inches




No comments:

Post a Comment