Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Cesarean Birth: Pros and Cons

Part Two:
Cesarean Birth: Pros and Cons

Everybody has their own opinions on everything in life, I did not want a cesarean birth because I felt like I was going to be a “failure” in everyone else’s eyes for not giving a natural birth, but frankly I don’t care what others think, because by having a cesarean delivery, I have a beautiful, healthy, 1 week old baby boy today. Yes, MAYBE everything would have went fine if I went to a different hospital and they did let me try vaginally. But I could have also tried for hours and still had to have a cesarean, I could have had Birth Trauma and never wanted to have children again, or even worse yet I could have risked both of our lives. So when Dr. Reber told us we needed to have a cesarean birth, yes I was devastated that I couldn't have the birth that I had planned for but I knew it was the right choice.

After having Mason here are my pros and cons of his birth:
Pros: He is here, healthy, big and ALIVE--Healing process really isn't that bad like others make it out to be(I was up walking around not even 15 hours after he was born)--We got to stay in the hospital longer and were able to get more help since we don’t have a lot of family around which helped since he is our first baby--I was still able to have our friend that photographed the birth of Mason IN the operating room with us--Not 12 hours of labor(give or take some hours!)--Everyone was very accommodating and  good at explaining things especially during the birth--
Cons: It was still a major surgery and I am sore(but not terribly considering my incision is much larger then most since he was so big, but I can’t move like I did before, YET!)--I can’t take a bath for 3-4 weeks(I love baths!)--I can’t drive for 2 weeks--I can’t carry Mason in his car seat for at least 3 weeks(maybe more depending how I’m healing)--I can’t go in pools/lakes/rivers for 4+ weeks--

Would I do a Cesarean or VBAC for the next birth and why? Cesarean - I felt like it went really good, considering Mason’s size I wouldn't have been able to do it all natural how I wanted. I feel like the healing process is going good and I am moving around quite fine. However I would plan the next baby in the spring, then I still get to enjoy the summer by going to the pool etc.

--Picture overload!--
Photography by: Katie Galbraith

All hooked up to the machines

My amazing supportive husband

Mason Matthew is here!

Tears of joy!

Dr. Reber with Mason

Matt trimming the cord

Matt cleaning him off

First family picture, even if it is of our heads

Getting to see him for the first time

Getting checked over

Mason Matthew Speiser

Nurse Jenna and baby Mason

Daddy and Mason

Again <3

Getting to hold him for the first time

So in love <3

Family pic :)

My precious bundle of joy <3 


No comments:

Post a Comment